Thursday, March 8, 2018

Superman The Movie trading cards

Just listed in our Etsy shop:

Superman The Movie Trading Cards

Great vintage cards circa 1978 featuring a card showing Superman flying past the World Trade Center buildings in NYC.

      I remember asking my Father to take me to see the Superman movie over and over when I was about 8 years old on our Father/Daughter weekends together and as corny as the movie actually is, it holds a special spot in my heart for those fun weekends.

   I also remember my Mother taking me on a weekend trip to NYC when I was about 12 years old. We went to see the Rockettes, climbed up the Statue of Liberty, saw 4th of July fireworks from high up in the Empire State building and visited the World Trade Center. With everything else we saw that weekend, visiting the World Trade Center didn't really excite me all that much, all I really remember about it was a lot of flags and being a bit curious about why someone would build 2 identical buildings right next to each other (and that we went in to use the bathroom in one of the buildings) not really memories worth sharing but they are all I have of that particular place.

   I wish I could remember more but at the time, to a 12 year old girl those buildings were just boring buildings and far less captivating than anything I could go see at the movies.

   Kind of goes to show that ephemera like movie trading cards, can seem rather innocuous at the time of their printing/creation but come to have such more meaning when viewed through the hindsight that is time and age.

   I think sometimes both children and adults use movies, TV and comic books, especially one's that contain super heroes, to feel some sense of surety and righteousness in a frequently chaotic world.

The feeling when I look at that card is one of a bit of a bittersweet kick to the gut, a flashback to a simpler time and a reminder that no matter how boring our surroundings might seem, we should still stop to appreciate every step we take as we never know if we will ever walk that way again.

   

           

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment